Friday, September 19, 2014

I Like What I Like



For those of you who know me, you know that I am a person of many hobbies. I like to do things that I find interesting, fun, exciting, and relaxing. I really like hobbies. Maybe because I love doing things that other people love doing. There is a certain thrill and excitement that comes with being new and inexperienced. Then there is that profound feeling of success when one has reached a level of confidence in a field.

So, my hobbies:





Biking: I've enjoyed biking for a long time, but recently it has become a bit of an obsession (and my main source of transportation). I often find myself thinking about biking gear, stories I've heard about biking, that position that I applied for at the bike store down the street, and how great it would be to bike across the country.




Ted Talks: There is something about the community of Ted that always leaves me feeling more educated and well rounded than I was before I watched a specific Ted Talk. One of my recent favorites would be: Meg Washington. It's pretty amazing. I highly recommend it. (It's one of the shorter ones, so that's nice)




Ukulele: I LOVE the ukulele. Even more than I love biking... by at least a little... I am most definitely more proud of my ukulele than anything else. I made that thing, so I believe it is the most beautiful - in appearance and sound - ukulele ever created.


Guitar: Before I learned the uke, I learned to play the guitar. I still like to play the guitar, especially on more complicated songs, but it's just not as amazing to me as my little ukulele.


Art: Okay, this one comes with sub-levels:

- Drawing: Drawing and I have been good friends since I was a freshman in high school. It has allowed me to express what I really think and feel without having to say a word.

- Painting: Since I am very untrained in the world of painting, it is very rare for me to paint, but I use it when I am in need of a serious emotional release. I love being covered in paint.

- Ceramics: Clay and I have had a very on and off friendship, but since I am taking a ceramics class, I am more committed to making it work. We're actually getting along pretty well.

People Watching: This is a hobby that goes very well with art, especially drawing. I love sitting in a public place and just quickly capturing people and who they portray themselves to be.

Thinking: This goes well with just about all of my hobbies.





Archery: Like ceramics, I had a little bit of exposure to archery when I was younger and started picking it back up in my young adulthood. I should look for a place to practice in Orlando...



Writing: Every now and then I like to write, with the occasional blog post, poem, journal entry, short story. You know how it goes. I'm not very good at it, but I do enjoy it.

Reading: I haven't done much of this lately (besides studying) but I do thoroughly enjoy it. Any kind of book. Fiction, non-fiction... Anything well written.

That might be it. I believe it is incredibly important and powerful to find and do things that we enjoy. Everyone should have things they love to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment